Saturday, March 15, 2008

Okay, so I know it's been a long time. Actually I just set this up last year because of sibling pressure. Ha! Now, it has become something I understand everyone does and uses to keep in touch. So, I will participate as best I can with our new marathon goal in mind. My sister, Tori and her sister-in-law, Melinda, have decided to run the ever amazing 1/2 marathon. I completed my first last December with St Jude's Children's Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. The experience I had training with my newest and will probably be one of my greatest friends ever (Natalie) was intense and grouling and what seemed impossible at times. The team of friends from Conway that I actually raced with were strong and determined. Even more, though, was the power of the children we raced on behalf of St Judes. The children and their families who were able to attend were all along the 13.1 mile stretch cheering and high-fiving us with all the energy we couldn't have created on our own to finish such a fantastic race. The rush that comes to your heart while you run can only be found with such a cause. It's addicting leaving you wanting for more.
Thus, I have decided to train again for the Ogden, Utah 1/2 with Melinda and Tori. This time on my mind a family friend very dear to my heart, Sarah Combs. Mother of 4; Baden, Brooklyn, Ella, Porter, heart of Mother Teresa, strength of a lioness, and spirit of an angel does not even begin to describe my passionate friend. Her blessing in this life is to care for a hard working husband and her children of which her 2 boys, Baden and Porter, with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Each year they send out flyers not needing help for themselves, but help for this cause that a cure or relief may be found through their efforts to comfort others in their shoes. I have know Sarah for a long time and have come to understand that she is strong and so will be her children, but in this life our help in medical research will help weaken this disease. I wish that each and everyone of you could have the gift I've had in knowing Sarah, but since you may not get that chance I challenge you to read the information on our blog ogdenmarathon.blogspot.com and join our efforts to raise the needed funding for MD research. Even the smallest donation will bless the lives of many as we work together to sponsor this cause. Thank you in advance to all of you. You will give us "all the energy we couldn't have created on our own to finish such a fantastic race."

No comments: